This Centre is working at the forefront of the use of lasers in the treatment of cancer and other life-threatening conditions. It works in partnership with the NHS and is supported by Moghissi Laser Trust (Charity No. 326689), which was established in 1984. The team has pioneered the development of photodynamic therapy (PDT) which combines the use of lasers with a photo-sensitive drug to provide highly targeted treatment.
The Yorkshire Laser Centre has now been operating as a project of the Moghissi Laser Trust Fund for over 20 years. At the time of our formation our stated aims were:
- The provision of laser treatment to alleviate the suffering of patients irrespective of their financial status
- Expansion of the clinical applications of lasers
- Training and education in the clinical use of lasers through the establishment of an acknowledged training team.
- Research and development into clinical use of lasers in conjunction with universities and academic institutions.
In spite of being small, both in terms of premises and staffing, all of these objectives have been achieved.
Apart from Professor Keyvan Moghissi, who gives his time and expertise free to the project, we have three permanent members of staff:
- Kate Dixon (Director/Manager and Honorary Secretary to both the Laser Trust and the Yorkshire Laser Centre) is responsible for overall administration of the YLC and is also in charge of laser usage, including all technical aspects and patient liaison.
- John Dixon (Laser technician and research assistant) is fully trained in all aspects of laser use and radiation protection.
- Sally Gibbins (Nurse Specialist) is trained in laser use and laser safety; she also assists with clinical aspects of laser therapy.
From 1997 to present we have;
- Published many papers
- Presented at scientific meetings across the world
- Conducted training sessions for doctors/nurses
- Organised the PDT@RSM-5 at the Royal Society of Medicine
- Been appointed as the specialist training centre for Photodynamic Therapy for PDT to bronchus and oesophagus
- Successfully supported three students to completion of:
- PhD Applied Physics
- MSc Microbiology
- MSc Computer science
Our core treatments have traditionally been in the areas of lung and oesophagus but, over time, there has been expansion into other areas of treatment notably:
- general surgery including colo-rectal
In the last few months we have also undertaken Daylight Photo Dynamic Therapy. This is a new concept in dermatological application which puts the time of treatment into the hands of the patient thus allowing minimal disruption in today’s modern lifestyles.
We have extended fields of research into:
- Early detection of cancer
- Feasibility of the use of PDT in microbiological applications
- Treatment of early stage tumours using PDT
- The use of PDT in HIV positive patients
This has been successfully used for treatment and training at:
- Leeds General Infirmary
- Scunthorpe General Hospital
- Castle Hill Hospital
- Hull Royal Infirmary
- Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee
- Cardiff NHS Hospitals Trust
- Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham
We are investigating the use of our newest treatment, Daylight Photo Dynamic Therapy, within Health Centres in and around the region.
Laser Equipment owned / used by the YLC;
- Diode 630 PDT lasers X 2
PDT in lung, oesophagus, gynaecology, general surgery including colo-rectal and dermatology;
- Diode 60 Thermal laser
- Lung, oesophagus, gynaecology, upper & lower GI and dermatology
- FREDDY lithotripsy laser
- Omnilux PDT lamps X 2
Gynaecology, colo-rectal and dermatology
- LIFE- Lung fluorescence system
- Early detection in lung (and possibly upper and lower GI)
In addition we have endoscopy equipment dedicated to and calibrated for the lasers.
Although many of our patients are from Hull and East Yorkshire, several also find their way to us from across Yorkshire and the UK as a whole; we also receive patients from abroad.
By viewing this web site you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions of access.
Thank you for your interest and support.
Prof Keyvan Moghissi
BSc., M.D.,F.R.C.S.(Ed.), F.R.C.S.(Eng.), F.E.T.C.S.
Membre Associe Academie de Chirugie Paris